4.28.2018

Youtube - Shaw Brothers Custom Kungfu

As I've mentioned before I've been doing Youtube for a few years now. And by that I mean I posted my first video a few years ago. I don't actually use it as a business, try to monetize it, or even make it my main thing, but it's something I like to do.

All this time I think the music library was leading up to the videos. It just took some time for things to fall into place and then out of place. What do I mean? If you know anything about the creator side of Youtube then you know that the algorithms were really shaken up and there are some very shady statements out there made by Youtube employees.

What tanked my channel?

Subscriptions not being enough...

People had to hit the bell in order to be notified. The shady video I mention is Youtube employees admitting to cherry picking (somehow) whether subscribers receive notifications and Youtube itself notifying people of content they had not hit the bell on... contradictory all the way around.

What does this mean for me? Well, other than my own recreation I'm not getting anything out of it. I love making the videos... I really do. And it seems like enough. It's not sustainable. Every video gets a copyright claim because hey... these aren't my movies. I just want people to see my creative expression on these as a purist old-school dyed in the wool fan. But even that is a struggle. I have 1 video that is close to a million views if not already. I think it is an example of when the system works as intended. And I have a few with 100K+ views.

But since that update, everything I've done (increasing in quality and attention each time) is dead on arrival. However, for nearly 1 million views on "Slept On Boss Fights" (which has knock-offs by the way... biters) new Shaw Bros fans are being born. I think just like the music, things will run their course... but in a much shorter time. Yeah I have a small following solely on Youtube and I don't want to let people down, but I can't see doing more than 2 more videos. I'm honestly just making the videos that I would like to see. I'm not driving traffic and spamming communities with my links. I don't believe in that. I think the content should speak for itself. I don't want to accept anything from anyone who may be a supporter (ie. Patreon) unless they feel so touched and so generous because I don't want to be beholden to making content any longer than I'd want to.

On the plus side, once the work is done... it's done. So if a better platform comes along several years from now I can put all of my videos right back up.

Hah, I can't imagine anyone would read this, but I don't use social media otherwise.



So if you like what we did with Xihong Library then watch and like my videos on Youtube starting with my last 2 projects... Why Can't We Defeat Shaolin Temple and Venoms Mob Hits (still banned in like 20 countries).

No comments: